At dinner, I sat with Maya on one side of me and Vanessa on the other, so it was kind of awkward, trying to talk to each of them. I felt like I had a responsibility to talk to Vanessa, cause she's a guest and my cousin, but Maya is my best friend....ugh.
And Maya's little brothers were surprisingly well behaved. Well, as well behaved as little boys can be, I guess.
After dinner, we sat out on the porch, the boys running around the grass (chasing fireflies?), and the adults talking about boring adult things. Politics, maybe?
"So, how long have you known Ashelyn?" Vanessa asked Maya.
"Since we were...three, I think." she said.
"Two, actually!" I corrected, smiling.
"That's nice," Vanessa said, I honestly couldn't tell if she was being sincere or not.
"So, what about you? Who's your best friend back in the states?" I asked.
"Kealyn Green. We go to the same school, obviously, but we've known each other longer, since she only lives a few blocks away."
No comments:
Post a Comment