Sunday, May 11, 2014

Ironhollow 41

Paisley and Victoria made their way thought the crowded street, breathing in the stuffy air, and clouds of dust billowing up from the feet of dozens of travelers and city natives alike.
"There's the supply store." Victoria pointed out, gesturing to a small shop with faded awnings over the open double doors and scuffed window panes.
"'Nico's Okay Supplies'? That's the worst name for a store. Ever."  Paisley said, grimacing dramatically.
"It seems like all the store names around here are...odd." Victoria shrugged, entering the store.
The girls surveyed their surroundings; muddy floors, peeling wallpaper, untidy piles and shelves of items, useful and useless alike. An old man stood behind the cracked marble counter. He had thin, artificially dark hair, a crooked nose, and skeptical, squinty eyes.
"What do you want?" He asked. His voice sounded like gravel rubbing together.
"Uh, food and blankets. Do you stock those?" Victoria said loudly, as though he might be deaf.
"Of conure We stock those! What do kind of supply shop do think this is?!" He demanded, suddenly furious.
"Wow, uh, that was unexpected." Paisley said, surprised at the old man's irritability.

While Victoria and Paisley were dealing with the supplies, Poppy and Eden were headed to the stables.
Unlike Victoria and Paisley, Poppy and Eden fared well with the owner of the stables.
It was a nice middle aged woman with four small children, who were constantly running around and tripping over their own feet. She told them that horses were quite expensive, and it was no good to rent them. She seemed genuinely sympathetic that they couldn't afford the horses.
Eden pulled Poppy aside.
"I'm going to buy the horses," she whispered, "You can't tell anyone how I did it, and we'll come up with a story to cover up."
"How will you be able to buy six horses. I thought one was too expensive, much less six!" Poppy exclaimed.
"I'm sorry, I...can't tell you. I might be able to sometime, but not right now. If anyone found out...Please, just don't tell anyone. Oh, and I assure you, it's completely legal."

No comments:

Post a Comment