Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Ashelyn 28

Maya, Vanessa and I struggled to make it through the swiftly moving water.
Since we had previously come through, the water was no longer at our shins, now it was all the way up to our waists. 
Maya carried a semi-conscious Tom, looking worried for her toddler brother. "He's going to get hypothermia if we don't get him inside soon!" She said, blinking hard, either against the heavy rain or tears. 
Finally, the house came into sight through the sheets of rain, and we pushed harder through the water.
 Climbing up the wet steps to the porch, I threw open the front door.
We rushed inside.
"Vanessa, can you go boil some water?" I asked her.
"But you have an electric kettle, and the powers out!" She said.
"Use the stove! Maya, I'm going it get a fire started in the hearth. Here. Wrap Tom up in this blanket!"
I threw wood in the fireplace, lighting some some newspaper and tossing it in.
In a few minutes, I'd gotten a small, yet hot, fire going.
"How's Tom?" Vanessa asked, coming in with a few water bottles she had filled with boiling water.
"He's getting warmer, and he's not unconscious any more, he's just sleeping."
"I'm going out to tell everyone else that we found him!" I said, slipping in Wellington rain boots and pulling on a slippery wind breaker.

No comments:

Post a Comment