Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Ashelyn 35

I watched as smoke rose from the wet wood fire my uncle had built.
The black smoke rose high and thick into the gray dawn sky, and ashes fell down to the earth silently.
The rain had stopped falling perhaps ten minutes ago, and the muddy floodwater had thankfully stopped rising.
Rising from my seat on a pile of scraggly blankets, I gazed out over the edge of the heavily forested mountain, staring at our barely visible roof a few miles away across the unrecognizable moor, which was now swamped in at least ten(plus) feet deep in water.
My little sister Ella came and stood beside me, staring at the moors and forests. "When are we going home?" she sighed, her lower lip starting to quiver, a warning sign of the imminent flood of tears that were bound to come.
I sighed. "I don't know, Ella. I..." I was interrupted by the sound of helicopter blades whirring.
I looked up. A brightly colored helicopter was hovering above the mountain.
"Look! There's a rescue 'copter!" i screamed, jumping and waving my arms in the air.
Everyone looked up from their meager meal of cold canned food to see the orange helicopter in the air.
Throwing aside their cans of food, they stood and waved their arms wildly at the helicopter, as if they hadn't already seen the column of smoke rising from our little camp, and me, jumping up and down and screaming to them.
A voice magnified by a bullhorn shouted down to us.
"Stay still, we'll lower a ladder! Rescue is imminent!"

No comments:

Post a Comment