Friday, July 18, 2014

Ashelyn 36

As we whirred over the small lake (previously the moor), I stared at the green roof rising out of the floodwater.
Turning to the rescue officer who sat in the back of the large helicopter with us, I asked, "Will we ever be able to move back into our house?"
The rescue officer looked doubtful. "There'll be extreme amounts of water damage to the inside and outside. I doubt you'll want to move back in there, pretty much ever."
I sighed quietly.
My mum turned to the Carsons. "Where will you stay? Your house is as damaged as ours."
"We have relatives in England, so don't worry about us. What about you? None of your relations live in the UK."
My aunt Maggie interrupted the exchange. "Well, of course you will be coming to live with us in New York! It would be wonderful to have you! Anyway, it's your only option!"
My mum and dad accepted the invitation, of course. I didn't know whether or not I was happy or not.
Ella looked confused. "Are we gonna live in America?"
"I...guess so."


Five days later at Heathrow Airport in London, we waited to board the plane that would take us from our home and take us to the land of loud music, fried chicken and cowboys. And I can't believe we were doing it willingly.
The Carsons had come down from the countryside to say 'bye.
I hugged Maya tightly. "Don't go making a new best friend." She said with a sad chuckle.
I sniffed. With a smile, I said, "Never."

On the plane, I got a window seat next to my dad, and I watched as we ran the runway and took off.
A voice crackled over the plane-wide intercom-thingy.
"You are now free to move about the cabin. Enjoy our non-stop flight to New York City."

No comments:

Post a Comment