Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Ashelyn 34

We set up our fold up tents, laying tarps across across their steepled roofs.
Inside, we huddled together for warmth.
"We're like penguins." My little sister Ella said.
"Er, what?" My dad asked.
"Penguins. They smush together so they don't get cold." She said with a small smile.
I laughed. "That's right!" I smiled, probably for the first time in twenty-four hours.
Uncle Artie entered, the tent, zipping up the entrance hurriedly as soon as he was in.
"Water had stopped rising, and the rain is letting up. They'll be sending out rescue helicopters by morning." He announced.
"Actually, Uncle Artie, it's already morning. Probably around four thirty AM, by now." I said.
He chuckled wearily.  "I guess so. Anyway, we should light a fire soon, so the rescue helicopters will know where we are. With all this wet wood, it'll get pretty smoke real soon. As soon as I get the flame going, that is."

No comments:

Post a Comment