Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Vanessa 11

The next day, I went into school alone. I handed in an excuse slip for Ashelyn.
She had been in bed since yesterday, suffering from a fever and panic attacks. I felt horrible, and I couldn't concentrate on anything.
And I had to skip out on Brynn's sleepover, which she was disappointed about.
At  lunch, Brynn didn't seem to notice Ashelyn's absence, but Jennifer asked, "So, where's your cousin? I heard she freaked out yesterday, but I didn't get any details."
I bit my lip. "She's...sick. That's why I couldn't come yesterday Brynn."
Brynn put on an easy smile. "Oh it's fine! We'll just have to reschedule it for another time!"
I grinned. Thank goodness Brynn was so easy-going.

After school, Brynn and I walked home together. Our apartment buildings were within a few blocks of each other, so we did that often.
"Sorry your cousin is sick." Brynn said, "Um, tell her...get well soon, I guess."
"'kay. Thanks for being so cool about all this, by the way."
She shrugged. "It's no problem.."

I waved goodbye as I hopped up the concrete steps into the apartment lobby.

I took the elevator all the way up to our floor, dropping my bag on the sofa and peeking into my room to see Ashelyn.
"Hi." I whispered.
Ashelyn looked over. "Oh, Hey."
I sat down on my bed. "How are you feeling? I'm guessing...bad"
She sighed. "Yeah...not too great.

No comments:

Post a Comment