Monday, December 1, 2014

Vanessa 10

After school, I had basketball practice, and Ashelyn tagged along.

Brynn and I were great out on the court, and in the girls locker room, we were constantly joking and talking. Until she saw Ashelyn, talking with another girl on the basketball team, Haley.
"Oh, hi." She barely acknowledged her.
She dribbled her basketball, then shot it up at the ceiling, hitting the sprinkler head. She did it again squarely hitting the sprinkler.
I barely noticed, I was too busy worrying about Ashelyn. She had barley spoken with anyone, and she was looking pretty uncomfortable around all my teammates.

Suddenly, the sprinklers started letting lose a shower of cold water.
Some of the girls started laughing, some groaned.

Ashelyn had gone pale as a sheet. As water started pooling on the floor, she gasped, tensing.
"Ashelyn, whats wrong?" I asked. And just as I asked, I realized she was remembering the horrible flooding of her home, a few weeks.

"Come on, Ashelyn. Let's get you home!" I said, pulling her to her feet.
 
"Vanessa, where are you going? This is fun!" Brynn called.

"Sorry, Brynn! Ashelyn really needs to go home!"

I rushed back home in my soaking basketball shorts and sleeveless jersey, my tote bag with my clothes and books on my shoulder.
Ashelyn was still breathing fast, and she didn't respond when I asked her how she was.

No comments:

Post a Comment